Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chameleons Dice

Reader John Middleton recently reminded me of the above: The Armory's line of polyhedral dice called "Chameleons." These dice got their name because, as their packaging proudly proclaims, they "change color with temperature!" You can see more of these dice over at the excellent DiceCollector website.

I never owned any of these dice myself, but, growing up in Maryland, I often went to The Armory's shop out in Pikesville, where I do remember having seen these dice, along with many others. Back then, I wasn't the dice connoisseur that I became later, so I rarely was willing to spend much money on random number generators. Even if I had been, I'm still not certain I'd have bought these, but who knows?

11 comments:

  1. Does my dungeon frighten you? I can tell because your mood dice are aqua, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw Chameleons, but would've gone nuts over them. I wonder if they stopped changing colors after a few months, like those Hypercolor shirts...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can think of some fun house rules that could be added with these dice. For instance, in a modern or scifi setting, if a die changes colour then your weapon has over-heated and jammed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a Chameleons d4 -- the problem is the cheap color-change plastic eventually changed color permanently, and then faded to a muddy off-grey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never saw those, but I did have a set of glow-in-the-dark dice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought you guys would appreciate these!!! They are just too funny not to comment on. i found them on eBay while searching for Armory blank 1/4" hex maps.

    Still looking for blank hex maps if anyone knows of a stateside source!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a set of those dice (all green) and they still work fairly well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blank hex maps?

    Try http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

    That page let's you configure custom hex patterns and generates a PDF you can print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That site is fantastic! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had them and they did stop changing after a few months. But like many dice they are gone evaporated into the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a couple d30's (orange and green) that I picked up only a few years ago. I'm a sucker for novelty dice. They work just fine.

    ReplyDelete